Scotland v Wales Over 60s

Inverclyde, Largs 21-22 November 2009

Scotland came out on top in the annual double-header international against their Welsh counterparts, held this year at a sodden Inverclyde on the West Coast.

Scotland Over 60s team photograph Largs 2009

Scotland in celebratory mood after a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Wales on Sunday 22 November

Saturday 21 November 2009 Scotland 0 Wales 0

Scotland missed a golden opportunity to win the first of two Over 60s internationals against Wales at Inverclyde when Alan Bryce's penalty flick in the last action of the game was saved by Welsh keeper Glyn Thomas. The game, played in atrocious conditions, ended in a 0-0 stalemate.

Scotland had the bulk of the possession but failed to impose themselves in the last third. The nearest the home side came to scoring was when McLernan netted in the first half, the effort being ruled out for feet.

The Welsh front two were always a handful but were well marshalled by the Scots back four. Keeper Leighton dealt capably on the few occasions where he was tested.

Scotland needed to pick up the pace of their game in the second match on the following day to have any chance of regaining the Celtic Quaich from their visitors.

Sunday 22 November 2009 Scotland 1 Wales 0

Scotland Over 60s finished the weekend on a high note by scoring the only goal in a close-fought encounter against Wales on Sunday morning at Inverclyde, Largs following a 0-0 draw the previous day.

Scotland started the game in dominant mood and pressed the Welsh into their own half for the first ten minutes. However the well-marshalled Welsh defence stood firm and eventually the visitors began to work their way back into the match. Their front two, as on the previous day, posed problems for the Scots defence on the breakaway, and a Kavanagh turn and shot which went narrowly past, made sure that the Scots were kept on their toes.

The second half started in the same way as the first with the Scots pressing hard, but this time there was more purpose about their attacks with a series of probing balls into the Welsh 22 causing problems for the Welsh back four. The goal came from one of these attacks down the inside left channel, a quick switch from Wilcock to the right finding Margerison in space with the goal gaping, and the midfielder took full advantage with a crisp hit into the Welsh net.

After the goal, the Scots failed to seal the match, dropping deep and defending their own 22. With the Welsh pressing hard for an equaliser, the chances were there for the breakaway but the tiring Scottish midfield was unable to push up to support the forwards. Time and again, the Welsh regained possession and pressed the home defence, but with the game compressed they were unable to find the killer pass to their forwards and Scotland stood firm to record their first victory over Wales in two years. The record in internationals between the two countries since the first fixture in 2007 now stands at three wins to Wales and two to Scotand with three matches drawn.



Alan Auld (Captain), George Black (GK), Alan Bryce, Alex Cathro, Jim Chisholm, Roy Crichton, Ian Downie, Tony Duguid, Douglas Dunlop, Errol Farnan, Keith Forster, Guy Leighton (GK), David Margerison, David McIntosh, Kieran McLernan, Alan Strachan, Ken Wilcock (Sunday only). Manager Mike McInally, Coach Ian Wilson, Physio/Chiropracter Vikki Cotter


Glynne Best, Ernie Brittain-Dodd, Keith Davies, Richard Harbottle, Peter Havlin, Chris Hills, Ben Johnson, Martin Kavanagh, Dave Maas, Brian Minney, Tony Nicholas, Glyn Thomas (GK), Roger Willis (Captain). Manager Chris Harness.